Pages

Sunday, March 04, 2007

A Curry-Spiced Cauliflower Soup

Wow, I can't believe that almost a week has gone by since my last post! Between subbing, running DS to various band and Tae Kwon Do activities and then getting ready for a visit from the in-laws, I haven't had much blogging time. Things have quieted down today, so it's time to get caught up!

First, let's go way back to Thursday night's dinner. Soup is a mainstay for me on busy nights - I can prepare it in advance and just leave it on the stove for us to dole out as needed. While trying to figure out what kind of soup to make, I spied a head of cauliflower in the refrigerator that I was afraid might go bad, so I decided on a cauliflower soup of some sort. We had recently done a cheesey cauliflower soup, so this time I went with a curry for a little variety.

After searching the internet for recipes, I decided to base the soup on a cauliflower dish that we all loved. I roasted the cauliflower with spices inspired by that dish and then added the roasted cauliflower to a vegetable broth base. The results were really delicious. I used milk to add creaminess, but half and half or cream would make this soup truly excellent. Milk, however, works very well and keeps the fat calories way down, making this dish healthful as well as packed with tons of flavor. The spices may have actually overwhelmed the cauliflower a bit, but they were so good, it would be hard to cut back.........

Sometimes cooking on a whim can yield some very tasty results!

I hope to get caught up on more recipes from last week, but this coming week brings a lot of driving for the boys' evening activities - ski club, baseball practice (Yep, baseball already!), Tae Kwon Do, Cub Scouts - AND a cooking class for me! I will be going to learn how to make sushi rolls - I can't wait! So, depending on how many sub jobs I get, it could be another hopping week around here.............

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea. Aloo gobi is one of my favorite Indian dishes and it's the cauliflower that makes it so delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:05 PM

    Sounds tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homesick Texan and D - Thanks! We love Indian-inspired flavors and anything that gets my family excited about vegetables is definitely a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete