Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Saturday in the Kitchen

Catalogs have finally started to find me at the new house again. A good thing/bad thing kind of deal. One good catalog that came the other day was The Baker’s Catalogue from King Arthur Flour. As I thumbed through it over lunch, I found a recipe that I knew I had to try: Ginger-Carrot Muffins. With cardamom and crystallized ginger, they sounded interesting and delicious. I had to modify the recipe just a bit to fit the ingredients I had on hand, but I followed the recipe pretty closely. The result was tasty indeed. They didn’t have as much bite from the ginger as I expected, so I'd likely try a full 1/2 cup of crystallized ginger next time around.

Mini-Meatloves with Brown Sugar-Ketchup Glaze

For dinner, it was time to go back to the basics. Meatloaf. Or in this case, mini-meatloaves. As I said earlier this week, I’ve never made meatloaf before. It turned out to be a more trying ordeal than I expected. Lesson learned - don't try new recipes later in the evening when you're not feeling well (just a cold - but it makes me very tired). I was very tired and when I'm tired, I get frustrated by the tiniest of problems. There were several little problems, but nothing amounted to a disaster - just a bit of swearing, sighing and grumping. Long story short - the meatloaf came out well and the whole family enjoyed it, so it had a happy ending even if I didn't enjoy the process.

I'll be working on getting the recipes posted for January's VRC. I don't have as many participants as I was hoping, but the recipes they have sent in look wonderful! If you have a recipe you'd like to contribute, it's not too late. I'll put a link on the sidebar and keep adding recipes as they come in or as I try more myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment