Pages

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Ginger-Carrot Muffins


Source: King Arthur Flour

My notes: This muffin has a nice spice, but the ginger did not come through as much as I thought it would. Next time, I’d probably use a full ½ cup of the crystallized ginger. I did not have any buttermilk powder, so I skipped the powder and used 1 cup of buttermilk in place of the water. I used a ½ cup of walnuts. I did not have oat flour on hand, so I ground up enough rolled oats to equal ½ cup.

1 3/4 cups King Arthur Traditional Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup oat flour (or about 3/4 cup rolled oats, processed until fine in the food processor)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flaxmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup minced or diced crystallized ginger
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups grated carrots

In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, including the crystallized ginger; be sure to break up any clumps of ginger. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, and oil, and stir into the dry ingredients. Fold in the carrots. Fill 12 standard-sized paper-lined muffin cups (or cups coated with non-stick vegetable oil spray) almost full.

Bake the muffins in a preheated 400°F oven for 20 to 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven, and cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely. Yield: 12 muffins. (It made slightly more than that for me.)

I talked about this recipe HERE.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm!! I have lots of carrots with no purpose in the fridge just waiting to be eaten!

    ReplyDelete