Pages

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Chewy Brownies


Since I'm looking for a chewy brownie, I decided that my next experiment would be with this recipe from Fine Cooking:

Source: Fine Cooking (posted by Gilgamesh on CLBB)

8 tablespoons butter
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 large eggs -- room temperature
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons cocoa

Grease an 8” square pan, line bottom with parchment or wax paper, butter paper. Melt butter and chocolate together, and let cool slightly. Stir in sugar, salt and vanilla. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, stirring each time until blended. Add the flour and cocoa; beat until incorporated and the mixture is smooth, 30-60 seconds. Scrape the batter into prepared pan and bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center come out almost clean, with a few moist crumbs, about 35-45 minutes. Let cool on rack until cool enough to handle; flip brownies out, peel paper off bottom, and re-invert onto rack to cool completely. (Can double for a 13x9” pan, increase baking time slightly.)

My notes: Finally, a chewy brownie! I was a little nervous trying this brownie since, like the last one, it did not call for baking powder. However, the texture came out just right - chewy, a little crunchy on top, but still nicely fudgy in the center. These brownies also held together nicely when cut - something else I've been looking for.

However, they just weren't chocolatey enough. I change my mind a lot when deciding what to try next, but if I try these again, I would try adding more cocoa to get more chocolate flavor. I'm afraid that adding more melted chocolate would change the texture too drastically. Although my cabinet is full of Penzyeys spices, I have not tried their cocoa yet, so that may be another way to step up the chocolate flavor.

If only I could get the texture of these with the flavor of the Chewy, Fudgy, Cakey Brownies.....then I'd have the perfect brownie.

Update: I forgot to mention that the batter for these brownies is quite unusual. It is very, very thick - almost like a frosting. Just wanted to mention that in case anyone gave them a try.

7 comments:

  1. If you are feeling daring, you could try this one. I made them last year and remember them as being very, very chewy. They were also intensely chocolate thanks to the Dutch Process cocoa. I only made them once, though. My success could have been a fluke!

    Deep, Dark and Chewy Chocolate Malt Brownies

    No-stick spray
    1/3 cup flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup European Style (Dutch Process or Special Dark) Cocoa powder
    1/3 cup malted milk powder
    1 cup granulated white sugar
    1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, melted and slightly cooled

    Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper or foil and spray with no-stick spray.

    Stir together flour, salt, cocoa powder, malted milk powder, white sugar and brown sugar. Set aside.

    In a large bowl, beat eggs and vanilla extract. Stir in flour mixture and mix until batter is blended and moist. Add melted butter and stir until uniform – do not overbeat. Pour batter into prepared pan

    Bake for 42-45 minutes.

    Let brownies cool completely and chill for at least 3 hours. Using foil overhang, lift brownies from pan and slice into 24 small brownies.

    Makes 24 brownies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - yet another very different-looking recipe. Don't know if I've ever seen malt powder, but then again, I guess I've never looked for it. Thanks! Not sure what I'll do next....except maybe make a Penzeys order... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'll make those brownies today just to see if they are as chewy as I remember.

    The malt powder I use is Carnation Malted Milk Powder. It's usually found near the hot cocoa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try this one from food network. It is truly the most delicious brownie I have ever eaten. It's perfect. I made some for my Husband's coworkers in April and they still talk about them. You can easily leave out the coffee powder if you want pure chocolate. They get their chocolate kick from unsweetened chocolate and a few chocolate chips.

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_28468,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Lisa. I'll go over and take a look. Our last batch is almost gone.....time for more but I have to go get some unsweetened chocolate first....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:33 PM

    I made the first chewy brownies and beware they are disgusting! not chey at all and very dry. I followed the recpies and have lots of cooking experience. they are all cake-y.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous - I'm not sure which recipe you tried, but I'm surprised that they were disgusting. I have yet to bake a disgusting brownie.........

    ReplyDelete