Pages

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Sugar Cookies

Source: The Martha Stewart Cookbook

4 1/2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter -- softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter baking sheet or line with parchment paper. Sift together the dry ingredients.

Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well. Add the dry ingredients, 1 cup at a time, alternating with the milk and vanilla, beating well after each addition. Wrap and chill dough for at least an hour.

Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Roll 1 piece at a time on a floured board and cut with large cookie cutters. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool on racks.

I talked about this recipe HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:49 AM

    I made some sugar cookies and was NOT happy with the outcome. This recipe looks better. Does it make a lot? I might use it at Valentine's time. My brother liked the ones I made, though...I guess as long as it has icing on it, he's happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire. This recipe says it makes 40 large cookies. My cookie cutters are medium-sized, so I know I get quite a few out of it, but I'm not sure how many. It's an easy recipe to cut in half if you don't want so many.....

    I still can't figure out what went wrong this year, but this recipe usually works quite well for me.

    ReplyDelete