Pages

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Baby it's Cold Outside....

I discovered that song while watching the movie Elf and just love it. Considering it's currently 1º outside (including the wind chill), I'd say "cold" is an understatement. Frigid and unbearable is more like it.

Yesterday we warmed up the house with an old favorite - a chili based on one from Jane Brody's Good Food Book. I have posted this recipe here before, but it's worth highlighting again, especially since now I have a picture to go with it. This chili is unusual with its addition of cloves and allspice - I really love the flavors. This time I added 1 pound of extra-lean ground beef, used two cans of kidney beans and 1 chipotle pepper in adobo in place of the jalapeno. We served it with brown rice for a meal that warmed us up, even with those icy winds blowing and howling all night long.

Since this is a great vegetarian chili recipe (even if I chose to add meat this time), I am submitting this recipe to the Soup's On event happening during the month of February over at Alanna's A Veggie Venture.

Keep warm everyone!

5 comments:

  1. I love that song. I used to sing it to Nicholas all the time when he was a baby. Definitely soup weather - they said it will be in the 30s this weekend - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just imagine you singin' away while stirrin' away at the chili. Thanks so much for contributing to Soup's On! It looks just terrific! AK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cate - The 30s sound downright balmy right about now. :) I just want it out of the single digits so I can go walk the dog!

    Alanna - Um, better that you imagine me singing it than actually hearing me sing it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:13 PM

    the chilli sounds good for cold days...the brown rice underneath fooled me thinking it's mexican rice! I still can't get over the serene feeling looking at your photos in your previous posts (Just for Fun). Such a landscape, yet such a snow too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eliza - The chili definitely hit the spot! And sometimes I feel like the landscape is the only serenity I have in my life at the moment. ;) :)

    ReplyDelete