Pages

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Loving Lentils!

After trying and loving the Lemon Lentil Soup with Spinach recently, I was more than willing to try more new lentil recipes. A member posted a recipe for Spicy Red Lentil Soup on the CLBB recently and I knew I had to try it. This recipe is from Vegetarian Times - a site that I definitely need to spend a little time exploring.

Mmmm...it's very good. It uses a new-to-me ingredient called tamarind paste. I've seen it listed in several Indian recipes but had never tried it. (I must say *AGAIN* that I *ADORE* having a grocery store that has just about everything I ever need.) Actually, while the recipe called for tamarind paste, what I found was tamarind concentrate and apparently there is a difference. I would liken tamarind concentrate to sort of an acidic molasses. It's thick and dark, sour with a bit of sweet, providing a depth of flavor and color to the soup.

This soup is reminiscent of a coconut curry - very flavorful and very easy to throw together. The family loved it and even went back for seconds. I can see this soup easily fitting into our regular rotation since it's a cinch to throw together and very easy to keep the necessary ingredients on hand.

I didn't blog the last couple of days, so I'm still trying to get caught up on recipes. Next up, barley risotto..............

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:16 PM

    I'm hoping to try more recipes using lentils soon...they are good, economical, and easy. I just need to get some recipes together. I'll keep this one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:46 AM

    I really like your site the food looks delicious
    tycoon2k @
    http://recipewizard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete