Pages

Friday, December 08, 2006

Ragout and a new green.

No cookies today. I worked this morning and then hit Sam's Club and the grocery store. I decided it would be better to cook dinner than to bake cookies. Hmmmm..........

This recipe was on my "to try" list from the December Cooking Light issue and uses an ingredient I've never cooked with before - escarole. I'm sure I've had it in a mixed greens salad before, but I've never bought it or prepared it myself.

This dish was fairly easy to put together, but washing the escarole is a bit time-consuming - it's quite sandy. It wasn't a WOW dish, but it was hearty and tasty. I used hot Italian turkey sausage, so I did get more zing than if I had used sweet Italian sausage and if I made this again, I'd do the same. I don't think I expected to be bowled over by this dish - it was just something a little different than what I've made in the past - allowing me to explore a different way of putting together ingredients. Even if I don't make this exact dish again, I now know that I can make a pretty tasty dish with similar items that I often have hanging around the fridge or pantry.

Stay tuned tomorrow - I hope to get to at least two different cookies inbetween basketball, decorating and other tasks and errands.

Oh - and I just noticed that I finally have the option to switch to the new version of Blogger. I'll probably do that tonight or sometime this weekend. I'm sure it will be fine and I'm looking forward to having labels as an option, but nevertheless, it makes me nervous!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:43 PM

    Save your sidebar elsewhere before you switch over. I had a couple of issues with everything surviving the switch. Otherwise it was relatively painless, and I like it. My only frustration is that the little html I learned before does me no good now with the new format, but I'm mostly okay with that for now, I have better things to do with my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips, Erika. I do save my template from time to time, but I'll make sure I have an up-to-date copy.

    Why can't you use HTML in the new version? Is it harder to customize the template? I hope not!

    Let me know if you think of anything else I should be aware of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:40 AM

    The html in the new version is just different. I managed to learn enough to do small changes with the old version of Blogger, but the beta uses different tags, which I'm sure are what help the whole process run smoother. It uses widgets, which streamline the whole thing, but which I'm completely clueless as to how to customize or change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Erika. I'll have to do some more reading on it. Turns out I can't make the switch yet anyway because I belong to the Food Blog S'Cool group. It won't switch over group blogs, so I have to wait for them........

    ReplyDelete