Pages

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Almost One Month Later....

....I'm finally posting again.

Don't know if anyone's still out there, but I think I'm ready to give blogging a go again. I think. I hope.

I can't say I haven't had time to blog, I just haven't had the desire. Disruptions in my routine tend to do that to me - I get knocked off course and have a hard time finding my way back.

Anyway, we are all settled in here in PA and as of 2 weeks ago, we are officially unpacked. There are still things that need to be done, like putting all the pictures up on the wall (some are up, but not all), but that's about it. And of course there will always be decorating, painting and other house projects, but all in good time.

We've been taking summer pretty slow - trying to enjoy our free time and lack of schedule, but that's all about to come to an end when school starts on Tuesday. I'm not working as of yet, but hope to at least volunteer in the schools and hopefully get some substitute work too.

I have some catching up to do as far as recipes go. I've been cooking and even taking pictures, but not posting. On days I don't cook or make repeats, I'll try to blog about the recipes we've been making, but for this post, I'll start with tonight's meal.

We are trying two new recipes for tonight's dinner. We like chicken - it's inexpensive and versatile, but it's also very easy to get tired of it. Especially on the grill. Grilled chicken recipes routinely disappoint me - the marinade or sauces often don't stay with the chicken, leaving the same old, same old behind.

This recipe was not like that at all. The author if this recipe recommends marinating the chicken overnight - something I usually try to do for maximum flavor - but our chicken marinated for only 4 hours and this seemed to work just fine. The chicken was full of flavor, even without spooning on extra sauce on at the table. It was delicious. Quite like the flavorful Korean beef barbecue recipes I've had in the past.

I served this chicken with some peanuty noodles from Tyler Florence at Food Network. These were quite good, but a little strong on the vinegar, even after reducing it to 2 tablespoons. I wonder about leaving it out altogether - it seemed to interfere with the flavor of the peanut butter and the sesame oil. I did reduce the oil to 3 tablespoons of sesame oil and just one tablespoon of canola (I didn't have any peanut oil). The peanut and sesame flavors did not come through as much as I would have liked, but this might be corrected by reducing the vinegar and/or using natural peanut butter for a more nutty taste. In any case, it was very tasty and very easy to throw together.

Picture from Cooking Light
Asian Barbecue Chicken

Cold Sesame Noodles
Nope, not a picture of sesame noodles,
but even better, don't you think?
At least the photo does have some noodles in it..........

No comments:

Post a Comment