Pages

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Success!

Well, my efforts to create a homemade cake met with success. Could it be that my cake curse has lifted?

I encountered two minor difficulties. First I had a little trouble getting the layers out of the pan, even with parchment paper on the bottom of the cake pan. I think the cake was moist and dense enough that it didn't just pop right out like some cakes do. Still, I was more relaxed trying to get them out than I have been in the past because I now know that you can pretty easily hide a torn chunk or two. After some loosening and tapping, I managed to free the cakes pretty well unscathed. I have found that when I use shortening to grease the pans, the cakes seem to pop out more easily - this time I used butter and had more trouble, so next time it's back to shortening.


The only other problem I saw was that the icing was a little too runny for my tastes. I love a whipped cream topping, but I was seriously afraid to leave this cake out of the refrigerator for very long for fear the delicate icing would start to melt and run right off the cake! If I were to make this again, I would consider adding a little less whipped cream to see if I could get a firmer icing. I managed to do a little decorative piping around the bottom, but it was really a little too thin to do hold the form well.


The cake itself was quite moist - I didn't seem to have any of the dryness problems cited by several reviewers on Epicurious. I froze the layers overnight to make them easier to handle and easier to ice. I also didn't have any problems with the filling oozing, but I was careful to make the filling the night before and I did not spread it too close to the ends of the cake layers. After adding the filling, I froze the cake again for a couple of hours to allow the filling to set. I then frosted the cake and returned it to the refrigerator as quickly as possible to allow the icing to chill. I wonder if the icing would have been less runny if I had allowed it to chill overnight with the filling? I also chilled the Butterfingers after I chopped them to try to prevent any bleeding.

Everyone enjoyed the cake and it was very tasty. I have plenty of chocolate/PB filling leftover. I'd love to make some PB cookies and using this as a filling, but I'm not sure if I'll get around to it.........

I'll be back later today with a contribution to WDB.....

5 comments:

  1. I've been waiting with baited breath to find out about that cake! I'm so glad it turned out for you- and even better, I have another to add to my list of cakes to try.

    It looks fantastic! And those candles are too fun. I hope your son had a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cake, and yes, it's so frustrating when you can't get the layer out the pan! Must try this cake myself sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mike and Erika. :)

    The funny part is, I had a hard time getting the boys to come up and do the cake thing. I guess they are getting a little old for the whole party thing. Maybe I'll save the cake for a family celebration next time........

    At least I'm now encouraged to keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic job! Very impressive cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well if you didn't tell about some difficulties while cooking it I would think that it was made with a help of some magic wand! it looks so great and tasty! Who invented the diets?

    ReplyDelete