Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Something Sweet and Something Savory

Hmmm....sounds like a good name for my food business - at least the one that exists in my mind.

Tonight we are invited to one of the golf course clubhouses for a New Year's Eve party. It's not a swank private club or anything, but we know the owners and they are putting on a bit of a bash. They are supplying beer and wine and we are bringing appetizers. The hostess has lined up some movies and activities for the kids, so no need for babysitters. As much as I like to get out without the kids, it's nice not to have to pay a babysitter either. I think I'll be designated driver tonight - it's probably my turn anyway. Even if it wasn't, I'd probably volunteer anyway - it's a great way to keep yourself from overindulging!

Appetizers are one of my favorite things to make, but it's so hard to figure out something that is impressive but that also doesn't require being kept hot, etc. We might have access to the clubhouse kitchen, but I'm not sure, so I needed to find something that didn't have to be kept hot - but that's no fun - all of my favorite recipes are best just-baked (like phyllo triangles, puff pastry, etc.). I also find that with this crowd, sometimes the basics are best anyway.

Anyway, I chose a kicked up onion dip from Epicurious - Blue Cheese and Caramelized Shallot Dip. I also decided to take this opportunity to try the Decadent Peanut Butter Cups that Joe from Culinary in the Desert posted a while back. I am still feeling overloaded from all the sweets from the holidays, so I'm hoping that they all get eaten! I made them both last night, so they are done and ready to go. I'll let you know how they are received at the party.

Photo from Epicurious

Decadent Peanut Butter Cups

No comments:

Post a Comment