Pages

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice

Source: Recipe Source

1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder (I skipped)
1 teaspoon dry chopped onion (I used about 2 tablespoons of fresh)
1/2 teaspoon dry minced parsley (I skipped but would use fresh)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons season salt -- to 2 ts
2 cups water (I used 1 can of chicken broth plus enough water to reach the rice cooker level of 2 cups of brown rice)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine * (I used olive oil)
1 c Premium Minute Rice (I used 1 1/2 rice cooker cups of brown rice. One rice cooker cup is equivalent to about 3/4 cup)
1/3 c dry wild rice (I used 1/2 rice cooker cup of wild rice)

Combine all of the ingredients as listed in Dry Mix in medium saucepan. Add to this water, butter, rice and dry wild rice. Bring to boil. Stir once or twice just to combine. Cover pan with lid tightly. Simmer gently 8 to 10 minutes or until almost all liquid has been absorbed. Makes 3 cups cooked rice.

My notes: To adapt this to the rice cooker, I set the rice cooker to "Quick Cook" and sauteed the onion and dried spices in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Then I added the rice, stirring to coat with oil and then the chicken stock and water. I reset the rice cooker to the "Brown Rice" cycle. It took about 1 1/2 hours to complete the cycle.

I was very pleased with how this turned out. I was a bit apprehensive since I'm not entirely sure about how to adapt rice recipes to the rice cooker (I'm finding that the cooker is fairly forgiving - it seems to be better to add a bit less liquid rather than too much), but the rice came out nice and firm which is how I prefer it. It was very flavorful (it had quite a bit of "bite" to it and lots of color from the turmeric) and reminiscent of the boxed mix without being too salty (even though it calls for a lot of salt) or fake tasting like the mix. This one's a keeper.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious. I just did a homemade version of Rice-A-Roni but this sounds so much tastier. Will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete