Pages

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Smoky Chipotle Chili Con Queso Mac

Source: adapted from Rachael Ray's 365: No Repeats

coarse salt
1 pound penne rigate
1 1/2 pouns ground beef sirloin
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander (I used about 1 teaspoon)
2 tablespoons ground chipotle powder (that seemed like way too much, so I used 1 tablespoon ground chili powder and 1 teaspoon ground chipotle powder)
coarse black pepper
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (I skipped this)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups smoked Cheddar
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (I skipped)
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leave, chopped
1 14-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (I couldn't find fire-roasted and then forgot to add the regular diced tomatoes!)

My notes: This was pretty tasty, but it certainly did not come together in 30 minutes and there was 3 of us prepping. When you have 3 different pots going, it's very difficult to get it done within 30 minutes. To up the taste next time I would probably try chipotle in adobo and definitely try to find the fire-roasted tomatoes to see if those added some needed flavor. All in all, a nice comfort food and kid-friendly dish.

I talked bout this recipe HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:51 AM

    Saying it only took 30 mins to make was wrong the first time I made it but I did learn to make in 30 mins the second time. I used ONE pot to make it the second time and it only took the 30 mins that was suppose to be
    cooking it the way it was read the first time. I fixed everything that the recipe first cut down the time
    I made everything then I cooked the pasta
    That made the pasta not so soft
    I have made this 4 time since I recieved the recipe and it was a great meal everytime , with everyone loving it ! It was a hit !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Yes, sometimes the first time making a recipe can take a little longer. I'll have to give it another go. :)

    ReplyDelete