Pages

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower

Source: ideas garnered from this recipe and this one.

1 head of cauliflower, chopped into evenly-sized pieces
1/2 head roasted garlic
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 to 1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
water (reserve from steaming the cauliflower)

Steam the cauliflower for about 10 minutes, or until soft. Set aside the water used to steam the cauliflower.

Puree the cauliflower, roasted garlic and cornstarch in a food processor, along with some of the water reserved from steaming. Process until smooth.

Place cauliflower back into a sauce pan and heat through, adding more of the reserved water if necessary, to reach your preferred consistency. Salt and pepper to taste, add cream to taste and heat through.

If the mixture is still too lumpy for your tastes, you can process it again until you get the right consistency.

My notes: After reading a few online recipes, I decided to wing this one. Several recipes called for adding water. I decided to reserve the water from steaming as I thought this would add back some of the nutrients and flavor. I would like to try this again using olive oil in place of some or all the cream - something a little heathier, but with enough flavor.

I talked about this recipe HERE.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to experiment with a recipe which puts cream cheese in with the cauliflower when you puree it. I love the idea of roasted garlic with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cream cheese is a great idea. Let me know if you try it and what you think. I use less-fat cream cheese in mashed potatoes all the time.

    ReplyDelete