Pages

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Rice Primavera

Source: I have no idea. But when I searched to see if this recipe was online somewhere, I found a similar recipe which seems to be a low-fat alternative to the one I have had in my recipe files for years. Interesting.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup sliced zucchini
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
3 cups cooked rice

Heat garlic with oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; discard garlic. Cook broccoli, zucchini, and mushrooms in oil until almost tender crisp. Add tomatoes and parsley; cook one minute longer. Remove vegetables; set aside. Place butter in same skillet; stir in half & half, cheese and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring until smooth. Add rice; toss to coat. Stir in reserved vegetables; heat through. Serve immediately.

My notes: For tonight's dish, I first cooked 2 chicken breast halves in olive oil and then set aside. I then deglazed the pan with about a 1/4 cup of white wine. I then added about 1 tablespoon of butter, 4 crushed cloves of garlic and about 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme + salt and pepper to taste. After the butter was fully melted, I added about 3/4 cup of grated Fontina cheese and several tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. I then added 1/2 cup frozen corn, 1/2 cup frozen peas, 1/2 cup frozen spinach, and 2 tablespoons of chopped scallions and heated through. I then added the 3 cups (or more) of brown rice and the diced chicken and heated through again.

I talked about this recipe HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment