Pages

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Pesto Salmon


Source: based on Easy Pesto Salmon from Cooking Light

This recipe was developed by a fellow CL bulletin board participant. I often have homemade pesto in the freezer, though it uses a full-fat recipe. If I want to cut the fat a bit, I simply take several tablespoons-1/4 cup of my own pesto and run it through the processor with some fresh spinach. Not only does this lighten and add nutrition, but it also revives the pesto by giving it a nice, bright green color. Add a bit of olive oil or chicken broth as needed. I will include the recipe as written on CL, as well as a link to my own pesto recipe.

"We grow basil on our porch and are always looking for tasty new ways to use it. I created this dish on a whim to try and get my husband to eat salmon. I succeeded: He loved it, and now he even requests it on occasion. The salmon tastes wonderful served with grilled or steamed vegetables."

2 cups fresh spinach leaves
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 garlic cloves, peeled
Cooking spray
2 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, skinned
2/3 cup hot cooked brown rice
(pesto recipe)

Preheat oven to 400°.

Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor or blender, and process until smooth. Spoon 3 tablespoons pesto into bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with the salmon fillets, and spread with the remaining pesto.

Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with rice.

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 1 salmon fillet and 1/3 cup rice)

I talked about this recipe HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment