Pages

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Curried Shrimp


Source: Martha Stewart's Everyday Food

My notes: I tend to make Thai-style curries, so I was anxious to try this one that I think reflects more of an Indian-style curry. I had to make some substitutions and have noted those below. This dish is FULL of flavor. I just love finding dishes that are so easy to throw together (it's a true 30-minute meal) and yet, do not sacrifice one bit of flavor. This dish would also be very good with chicken.

Serves 4; Prep time: 30 minutes; Total time: 30 minutes

Serve this brothy dish in shallow bowls over steamed jasmine or basmati rice.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
1 jalapeño chile, finely chopped (I used Thai garlic chili paste for heat)
Salt
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
4 plum tomatoes (about 1/2 pound), quartered lengthwise and cut into large chunks (I used one can of diced tomatoes, undrained)
1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
1/4 cup sour cream or plain whole-milk yogurt (yogurt seems more traditional but I used sour cream because that's what was in the fridge)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeño, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, curry powder, and ginger. Cook, stirring to break up paste, until mixture is smooth and fragrant, about 1 minute.

2. Add tomatoes to skillet. Cook, stirring, until they begin to release their juices, about 1 minute. Add 1 1/2 cups water; simmer until tomatoes have slightly broken down, 3 to 5 minutes. Add shrimp; cook until opaque, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat.

3. Add sour cream and lime juice to skillet; stir to combine. Serve hot.

Per serving: 237 calories; 11.9 grams fat; 20.9 grams protein; 12.5 grams carbohydrates

I talked about this recipe HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment