Pages

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Carrot Soufflé

Source: Mother-in-law

1 3/4 pounds carrots
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
1/8 cup flour
3 eggs
1/4 pound margarine
1 tablespoon powdered sugar

Steam carrots until extra soft. Drain well. While carrots are warm add sugar, baking powder and vanilla. Whip until smooth, then add flour. Whip eggs and add to mixture. Add melted margarine to mixture and blend. Pour mixture into 9x9 baking dish. Fill only 1/2 full as it will rise. Bake at 350 degrees about an hour or until top is golden brown. Cool slightly and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

My notes: I am NOT a fan of cooked carrots by any means, but this is dish I like. However, it is admittedly more of a dessert than a side dish because it is so sweet. Normally I do not like sweet dishes (like those dreaded sweet potato casseroles with the marshmallows), but this is delicious. One of these days I'll give the lightened Cooking Light version a try, but since I only make it once a year, I see no reason to hold back. Especially since it is a special request from my boys every year. Tradition is important too.

I talked about this recipe HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment