Pages

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Chicken Tikka Masala


So far, I have only created the Masala part of this recipe. There any number of recipes for Chicken Tikka available on the internet - I will post one here as soon as I try one.

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons grated ginger
5 cardamom pods
1 tablespoon garam masala
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne (my garam masala had red chili powder in it, so this may effect how much heat you add)
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 tablespoons almond paste (you can grind your own, but I'm not sure this is an essential part of the sauce - I would probably skip it next time - some recipes call for it, some don't)
3/4 cup heavy cream (you can use more or less, to taste)

Heat butter in a large non-stick skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft. Add all spices, cardamom through cayenne, and heat in pan until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add crushed and tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer for 10-20 minutes, until the sauce is very thick and spices have been allowed to blend and meld.

Remove cardamom pods (frankly, I wasn't sure what to do with these, so I threw them in whole and then took them out at the end). Puree sauce, if desired. Add almond paste and heavy cream, heat through.

I talked about this recipe HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment