Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Caesar Salad with Tofu Croutons

Caesar Salad with Tofu Croutons

Source: Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers

Tofu Croutons:
1 cake firm tofu (about 16 ounces)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
1 tablespoon ground fennel seeds (I ground my own fennel seeds)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced

1 head romaine lettuce (about 8 cups sliced or torn)
Caesar Dressing
grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano Cheese (optional) (I skipped only because I ran out of time to grate more cheese)

To make the Tofu Croutons, preheat the oven to 450ยบ. Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes (I went smaller for more surface area to absorb the flavoring) and place them in a single layer in an oiled baking dish (I used a cookie sheet). In a small bowl, mix the oil, soy sauce, sage, fennel, red pepper, and garlic. Pour this marinade over the tofu (I tossed the marinade and tofu in a bowl, then spread on the pan) and stir well. Bake until the edges of the tofu are crisp and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 25 minutes. Stir the tofu once or twice during baking.

Meanwhile, rinse and dry the lettuce leaves. Slice or tear them into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Prepare the Caesar Dressing.

Just before serving, toss the lettuce with some of the dressing. Pass the tofu croutons, grated cheese and more dressing at the table.

I talked about this recipe HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment