Pages

Friday, June 02, 2006

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cake....

...with Cream Cheese and Butterfinger Frosting. And it's healthy and low-fat too! Okay, not even close.

This cake just might bust my nutritional goals for the entire MONTH, but I'm going for it. After all, DS couldn't care less about my wanting to lose 20 pounds, it's his birthday! My baby is turning 12 - he's almost a teenager! Sniff. But, I'm happy to report, without the attitude......so far. My 8-year old has that covered. But he is showing signs in other ways - darker hair on the lip, his voice is cracking and he's almost as tall as me (which, admittedly, is not hard to achieve as I stand at a very modest 5'1").

Anyway, back to the cake.........

This cake is a monster and I'm intimidated by even the simplest homemade cakes. Cakes (and candy) are not my forté and I resorted to the Cake Mix Doctor a few years ago out of frustration (and heck, the kids didn't really care anyway). I'm determined to try again. When I showed DS my idea for his cake this year, he nearly wept. Yes, I've raised a foodie - albeit not a very discriminating foodie at this point, but definitely a foodie in the making.

Today I'll be making the layers and the filling. Tomorrow I attempt the icing and the decorating of the cake. Many reviewers on Epicurious say that they had problems with the filling oozing, so I'll definitely be chilling it overnight. It's been humid here lately, so I fear the humidity may work against me but I'll keep the A/C cranked up and cross my fingers.

Wish me luck. If all else fails, there's always DQ....................

5 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Now that's a cake!

    As for the oozing filling...if you put/pipe a ring of buttercream around the perimeter of your cake layers, it will hold your filling in for you. Then fill that circle of buttercream with your filling.

    Good luck! I'm anxious to hear how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Erika! I will definitely do that. I'm so glad I posted this before I made the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there... and ate myself into heaven with 1 slice that Jeff saved for me when I made it for his office.

    I had no problems with the filling oozing out and it was pretty stiff/thick after being in the fridge overnight. I don't think I used more than 1/2 of it though, it is VERY rich and would be too much if you used all of it in between the layers in my opinion.

    Because the frosting is pretty soft (ie not buttercream) I would be a little wary of doing a dam with it.

    PS - If you can, don't add the butterfingers until right before you want to serve it. The orange/chocolate can bleed into the frosting (I wanted, but read others having this problem)

    Can't wait to see it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the advice Joe.

    I have the layers in the oven baking now.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:43 AM

    The cake on the picture looks so great and you are telling of its cooking so tasty that no person even who is keeping the diet can refuse it! Let it be the celebration of our bellies!

    ReplyDelete