Pages

Friday, June 06, 2008

Shrimp Tikka

Here's another recipe from Gourmet Magazine. I've been receiving a free one-year subscription since sometime after Christmas. Amazon was offering a free subscription with certain kitchen purchases - I didn't have any idea when I made the purchase, so it was a nice little surprise.

I've been unenthused about shrimp on the grill lately and this recipe sounded like just the thing to bring us out of a shrimp rut. Not only that, but the mangoes have been very good lately so it seemed like the perfect time to try a dish that calls for making a mango chutney.

Shrimp Tikka
The shrimp are marinated for 30 minutes in a spicy, Indian-inspired combination of ginger, garlic, garam masala, turmeric and some jalapeno for heat. The mango chutney is a sweet and savory combination of mango and cucumber spiced with cumin, lime, mint and cilanto and again, a bit of jalapeno to kick it up. The recipe calls for unripe mango, but ours was probably more on the ripe side. I don't see any reason not to use ripe mango so long as it's not so ripe as to not hold up to dicing.

I think we can safely say that this dish helped pull us out of our shrimp rut. It was very, very good. All around, this is a perfect summer meal - it's easy, refreshing and prepared on the grill. I only wish we had used bigger shrimp - our shrimp were really not big enough for grilling.

I should know by now to reach for Indian flavors when I'm in a rut. Indian flavors almost always come through for me, making my taste buds tingle with happiness.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't experimented with Indian flavors much at all. I need to branch out a bit more! This sounds great w/ the mango.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy I would love some of your mangoes--ours here in SW Ohio are TERRIBLE!

    This looks yummy. My husband would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RecipeGirl - Obviously everyone has different tastes, but Indian is one of my favorites. I feel like I can wing an Indian dish and come out with something delicious almost every time. It's one of those cuisines that is completely satisfying to me without a lot of fat, meat or cheese. YUM!

    Laura - Don't give up! I remember getting some fantastic mangoes at Meijer in Indiana. I find that mangoes, like avocados, tend to be very hit or miss - it's frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:24 AM

    Well i never heard about shrimp tikka. Spices for any tikka are same but taste different with different meats. It looks yummy.:)

    ReplyDelete