Pages

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Good old Meat and Potatoes!

Since my family has been so tolerant of my recent run on vegetarian recipes, I decided to "reward" them with a good old comfort food meal of meat and potatoes.

I read good reviews of a pot roast recipe on the CLBB, so I gave it a try. I used my Le Creuset Dutch oven - it's not oval, but the chuck roast (2.5-3 pounds) fit in it just fine. I followed the recipe pretty much exactly, but I used little white creamer potatoes instead of Yukon gold.

Classic Pot Roast
Once everything was finished cooking I had DH shred the meat while I dealt with the potatoes. Instead of eating the potatoes as is, I decided to mash them - along with a bit of light sour cream, a bit of cream cheese and a bit of butter. This was a great way to make mashed potatoes - cooking the potatoes right along with the roast allowed them to soak up a little more flavor and saved an extra cooking pot to wash later. They were delicious.

Overall, the recipe was very good, but I think we might prefer the Merlot Pot Roast. However, I'm glad we tried this recipe - I definitely will cook the potatoes like this again.

5 comments:

  1. Mmm, that looks so delicious! I could go for some of it right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tarah - Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where's my fork, gosh that looks so good. Nothing like stick to the ribs comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds and looks amazing. I am going to have to make that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie and Kim - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete