Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Grilled Salmon

Back to that salmon recipe from the other night.......

We like a lot of different types of fish, but we most often cook salmon because it's economical. Most fish around here costs over $15/pound and is often previously frozen. Very sad. So for us, it's mostly tilapia and salmon. Of course this gets a bit boring, so I'm always looking for new recipes.

Grilled Salmon
Our latest salmon venture - this recipe from Epicurious. It's quite easy to prepare - a quick sauce and a quick basting sauce. The horseradish sauce is very, very delicate - perhaps too delicate for a strong-tasting fish like salmon. My first reaction was to up the horseradish for more kick, but I'm afraid that more horseradish would overwhelm the light, fresh flavors of the basil and lemon. Perhaps upping the lemon and basil along with the horseradish would be the answer? I really do like the flavor, I just had a hard time tasting it against the salmon and DH wasn't sure if he liked it paired with salmon in the first place.

I would definitely recommend making the sauce in advance (a day ahead), if possible - the flavors did shine through more the next day. I would also try marinating the salmon in the basting sauce to see if that would help up the flavor.

I have a lot of leftover sauce, so I may play around with it some more - maybe use it as a crudite dip, use it on tilapia or as a spread for sandwiches...........

3 comments:

  1. Hello - just surfing around and I stumbled across your blog. It looks fantastic. Great photos and recipes. I'll be back for "seconds" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet. Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. The golden is cute as all get out! I just did some salmon on a plank at my blog. First time using a plank and the grill. It was pretty fun. Your picture looks great!

    Would love your ideas and opinions!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete