Pages

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Risotto

When I planned my menu for the week, I had planned to make Cooking Light's Italian Sausage Soup this weekend, but then stumbled on this risotto recipe over at Joe's blog. Actually, I had torn this recipe out of Everyday Food quite some time ago, but never got around to making it and completely forgot about it. The risotto sounds quite familiar to the soup and uses many of the same ingredients, so I decided to give it a go.

Well, it was good, but it wasn't great. There was just something about it that didn't work for me. It's a bit of a mystery, really - this really should have worked. I think it was a combination of several things. For one, it there was too much sausage and tomato for my tastes - and that's despite the fact that I used 9 ounces of sausage instead of 12. I did not care for the large chunks of tomato - a finer dice or perhaps crushed tomatoes would have worked better. Another problem - the spinach. My DH bought the spinach and it was of the curly leaf variety. It's been a very long time since I've bought anything other than baby leaf spinach and now I remember why - baby leaf is so much better - both in texture and especially in flavor. Never again.

Sometimes simple ingredients such as these come together very nicely, but in this case I found it a bit bland. I did use turkey sausage instead of regular, so that may account for some lack of flavor, but not all. It wasn't bad by any means - we ate all of it - and there's certainly room for potential, but I can't say as it was worth the 30 minutes of stirring invested.........

No comments:

Post a Comment