Pages

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Falling behind............

I'm falling behind! Time to catch up on the recipes I've made this week! In order to keep this from being an endless post, I'll post each recipe separately over the next 2 days. We've got fried rice, a tempeh recipe and an elegantly presented salmon recipe........

On Sunday night we had fried rice. The kids and I love fried rice, but I often forget to make the rice the night before (the rice works best if chilled), so I don't make it as often as I'd like. I finally remembered to put the rice on Saturday night for Sunday's dinner. I don't follow a specific recipe really, it's one of those recipes that's good for using up whatever you happen to have on hand.


First, the rice (about 3-5 cups) needs to be thoroughly chilled and the oil (at least 2 tablespoons) needs to be hot. I like to use brown rice for added nutrition, but white rice works very well, maybe even better. To the rice I like to add shredded carrot (if I'm in the mood - I'm not a big fan of cooked carrot), peas, corn, scallions, and egg. Sometimes, like Sunday, we add meat - this time, chicken. (My ambition is to make the chicken like they do in the restaurant - I know this involves pounding the chicken thin, but I haven't mastered it yet. I'll let you know if I do.) I then add a bit of salt, pepper, sesame oil and soy sauce to the mixture for flavoring. No measurements here - I just add it to taste. One of these days I'll try to write down an actual recipe.

A new technique I learned this time around is for cooking the egg. Have you ever noticed that the egg in a lot of fried rice dishes doesn't look like regular scrambled egg? I found this recipe on Epicurious that seems to describe the technique for cooking it that's probably responsible. My egg didn't turn out quite as written, but the second try was much closer.

Next time I'll have to make more - everyone was looking for leftovers the next day and there weren't enough to go around..................

No comments:

Post a Comment