Pages

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday

No posting last night. After work, it was a workout at the YMCA and then a science fair at the middle school until 8:30. Then it was time for 24. Once I hit the couch and cuddled under the blanket, it was all over. I was barely motivated to get up and go to bed, much less get on the computer. Dinner last night was leftovers in the freezer - A Very Veggie Soup. I love when you can pull a homemade meal out the freezer and all you have to do is push the buttons on the microwave. As much as I love to cook, you just need that sometimes.

Although I didn't make a new recipe tonight, I'm still submitting this post to Sweetnicks ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday event which is being hosted by Stephanie at Dispensing Happiness while Sweetnicks is in the Florida Keys. It's not a new recipe, but I did really well with both veggies and ARFs, so I feel the need to brag a little.

For breakfast, I had cereal with strawberries and pecans. For lunch, I really upped the veggie intake by having some of the Very Veggie Soup. For dinner, it was our favorite standby, Easy Layered Beans and Rice which had black beans in it - served with a side of Gala apples.

I've mentioned this dish several times before, and even on the last ARF (although that time, I think I made it with pinto beans), but in this house, we're still not bored with it. And besides, it's eezy-peezsy lemon squeezy, as my son is fond of saying - you can throw it together in no more than 20 minutes at the most. We don't get bored with it because it comes out a little different each and every time. Here's what we did this time and it was yummy:

1 cup brown rice
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 can of vegetable broth
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 small can sliced black olives
2 Al Fresco Spicy Jalapeno Chicken Sausage links, sliced
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
sprinkling of Mexican oregano, chipotle powder and freshly ground black pepper
mozarella cheese & cheddar cheese

So, that was 4 different ARFs and at least 4 different vegetables today. Not bad.

: : :

No comments:

Post a Comment