Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2006

A Sunny Sunday

We had unusually cold and snowy weather in December and now January has been quite mild - we've even reached the 50s a couple of times. However, we have not seen much of the sun. During the week, I get up at 5:30 and it's still dark by the time we leave for school at 7:15. This morning I got up at 7:30 (when did 7:30 become sleeping in????) and woke up to this glorious sight:

Not only was there sun, but it was beautiful. A nice start to the day! It was also dry enough to walk Bailey - it's been so cloudy and wet lately, that I try to grab any day that's dry to walk him (and me).

I have to talk up the Chewy Ginger Snaps. I always forget how much I love these cookies! This is coming from someone who used to think that if it didn't have chocolate in it, it wasn't worth eating. It has to be all that butter.....

Still on the lookout for good whole grain breakfast foods for our Virtual Recipe Club, I decided to make a recipe from this month's issue of Cooking Light. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to let you know exactly how they turned out, but they look very promising. I changed up the recipe a bit, mostly due to not having the right ingredients on hand, but nothing major. I'm looking forward to having one for breakfast tomorrow.

Whole Wheat, Oatmeal and Raisin Muffins

Photo from Cooking Light

Speaking of whole grains, I found some Kashi oatmeal at, of all places Walmart. I usually avoid Walmart like the plague because of the poorly designed parking lot and because I don't generally like their grocery section, but I happend to be there to get a birthday gift and was pleasantly surprised to see such a healthful choice in the cereal section. I bought the Heart to Heart Golden Brown Oatmeal and GoLean Creamy Truly Vanilla Hot Cereal. So far I have tried the oatmeal and liked it pretty well. The oat flakes did not seem to be whole, but rather in small bits - I prefer the texture of a whole flake that is a bit toothsome. Generally I try to make my own oatmeal in the rice cooker, but it's nice to have something that's easy to prepare at the last minute. I stopped buying the Quaker Oats brand when I read the ingredients and realized how much extra stuff they put in it!

Ah! Almost time for the start of the new season of 24. I was hoping to get my WDB post in for the week, but I guess I'll have to save my picture for next week.

Until tomorrow then.....

No comments:

Post a Comment