Pages

Friday, January 13, 2006

Soup Night

Before I get started with what we had for dinner, I'd better talk about yesterday's post.

First, I must apologize. I didn't meant to imply I was making a recipe with this food item, I just thought it was pretty and unusual-looking. I have never seen one in this area, but I'll be on the look-out and I'll post if I get to try one.

So, for those of you who, like me, had not seen one before, it's a Dragon Fruit.

Now, on to the soup.

I was at work, eating my cold slice of pizza for lunch (it was supposed to be heated and accompanied by a salad, but it's a long story as to why THAT didn't happen), and I was reading my January/February issue of Cooking Light.

As I flipped through the recipes, I came upon the perfect recipe for tonight - Dijon Chicken Stew with Potatoes and Kale. Not only was it chilly and raining - perfect soup weather, but I had that kale leftover from Thursday night. I also needed to use up some potatoes from the big bag of organic potatoes I bought this week and I happened to have chicken thighs in the freezer. The only thing I didn't have was leeks - I substituted onion and shallots.

It was a tasty soup and my older son ate up every bite. I wasn't sure how he'd take to kale - it's quite different texture than spinach, the green we usually use in soups. DH liked it too - he's really come around in his vegetable/greens and is open to just about anything these days. This is very heartening for a veggie-lover among veggie-phobics. Perhaps soon, with more training and flavorful cooking, I'll be able to at least call them former veggie-phobes. :)

Photo from Cooking Light
Breadsticks

No comments:

Post a Comment