Pages

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

What's for Dinner? (12/7/05)

With temperatures in the teens as a high - single digits and below as a low - it's the perfect weather for a stick-to-your-ribs meal. Like pot roast and mashed potatoes. Perfect cold weather comfort food. I don't make pot roast very often because of the high fat content, but we sure do enjoy it when we do have it. I came home from work today at lunch to get it started - my crockpot seems to cook too quickly to allow me to start it in the morning before work.

I braved the elements to take Bailey for a walk today and the thought of this meal and a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon (okay, so my pot roast was really a Cabernet Sauvignon Pot Roast) kept me going. Red wine is perfect for helping to keep the arteries clear with a meal like this.

For the cooking wine, I used one of those little bottles of Lindemans. I love those little bottles and have seen them before, but our store just started carrying a larger variety - I was happy to see Lindemans and Stone Cellar among them - much better than the Vendange which was just about all they carried previously. The little mini bottles are prefect for cooking - sometimes I need to open something that I don't necessarily want to drink - with the little bottles, I don't have to worry about wasting anything - they measure in at just under one cup. And since Lindemans is pretty decent, I wouldn't mind drinking what little is leftover. Hick.

For the meal, we served Sterling's Vintner's Collection Cabernet Sauvignon (runs in the $10 range). This is a tasty, inexpensive wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment