Pages

Thursday, October 06, 2005

What's for dinner? (10/06/05)

Whew - I'm feeling a bit stressed today. I spent all morning cleaning up for our afternoon showing today, then had a bit of a crazy day at work. I came home to relax a bit and realized that I needed to finish up an online course and that the last day to complete it is tomorrow.

While I was finishing up my classes and preparing for the exam (an easy exam, but an exam nonetheless), we got a call that the folks who looked at our house today want to look at it again tomorrow afternoon. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but I am leaving before 8 in the morning to go on a field trip with my youngest. DH will take care of everything just fine and the cleaning is really done since we had a showing today, but there are still beds to be made, etc. I'd just rather be here and be in control!

I'd love it if it would all be over after we get home from the field trip, but we have another showing scheduled tomorrow! The other showing is at 6:30. We'll be dropping the kids at the YMCA for Parent's Night Out at 6. It's too bad that we'll be spending the first hour of our alone time together fussing with a showing, but the night out lasts until 10 p.m., so we have plenty of time to fit in dinner out somewhere. I'll SOOO ready to be waited on and to drink a big old glass of red wine (or two)! I'm counting the hours until then......

I'm sad that I haven't had time to bake or play in the kitchen - the weather really cooled off today and that always triggers a baking response in me. However, baking just dirties up too many things (I'm very messy when it comes to flour) when you're trying to keep the house really neat for showing and makes cooking stressful, so I haven't been doing much this week. But just wait until Saturday - as long as no one calls for a showing! I might have to say no even if they do.....


Here's the plan for tonight. I haven't had time to come up with any sides and it's too late to do brown rice, so I'll just have to wing it:

Photo Courtesy of Cooking Light

Honey-Ginger Glazed Salmon with Arugula Salad
Source: Cooking Light, October 2005

If sage honey isn't available, substitute alfalfa or another light-colored, mild honey. For bolder flavor, try a dark honey, such as gallberry.

2/3 cup sage honey
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
2 tablespoons warm water (100° to 110°)
1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
4 (6-ounce) skinless salmon fillets (1 inch thick)
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cups trimmed arugula

Preheat oven to 350°.Combine honey, 2 tablespoons juice, water, ginger, and garlic in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Pour honey mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; arrange fish in pan, skinned side up. Let stand 20 minutes. Turn fish over; sprinkle fish with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes. Remove from oven.

Preheat broiler.

Brush fish with honey mixture; broil 7 minutes or until fish is browned and flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.

Combine remaining 2 tablespoons juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, oil, and pepper in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk until blended. Add arugula; toss gently to coat. Serve salad with fish.

Wine note: Honey intensifies the rich meatiness of salmon in this dish, which requires a clean, crisp wine. I love Havens AlbariƱo 2004 from Napa Valley, California ($24). (AlbariƱo is a Spanish white grape.) -Karen MacNeil

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and about 1/2 cup salad)

NUTRITION PER SERVINGCALORIES 396(38% from fat); FAT 16.6g (sat 3.6g,mono 8.2g,poly 3.6g); PROTEIN 36.9g; CHOLESTEROL 87mg; CALCIUM 56mg; SODIUM 378mg; FIBER 0.5g; IRON 1.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 25g

Marcia Whyte Smart Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2005

My notes: This dish was quite good. I really got all the great flavors on my first bite, but had a problem tasting after that - I probably just needed to drizzle on more sauce. The sauce glazes the salmon when you broil it, but it also gets thick and syrupy after it's been out of the oven and has cooled down a bit - perfect for drizzling. It didn't knock my socks off, but it was very easy to put together and quite good.

I ended up serving it with some leftover whole wheat couscous and a broccoli slaw salad with cashews.

No comments:

Post a Comment