Thursday, September 01, 2005
5-Grain Muffins with Fruit and Nuts
Source: A recipe adapted from Bob's Red Mill
1 cup Bob's Red Mill 5-Grain Cereal
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Combine cereal and buttermilk and let soak at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400º. Prepare muffin tins.
3. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Cool slightly. Whisk in brown sugar. Beat egg into butter/sugar mixture. Stir in vanilla.
4. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine. Stir in butter-sugar mixture and oat mixture, alternating between the two. Fold in raisins, cranberries, coconut and pecans. Do not overmix.
5. Fill prepared muffin tins about 2/3 full. Bake at 400º for about 20 minutes or until done.
According to Mastercook:
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 199 Calories; 9g Fat (38.4% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 25mg Cholesterol; 178mg Sodium.
My notes: See this thread for my notes and comments on this muffin.