Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Strawberry-Sour Cream Stracciatella Ice Cream

Strawberry Ice Cream

Source: David Lebovitz's A Perfect Scoop and eggs on Sunday

1lb fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled
3/4 cup sugar
1tbs vodka
1 cup sour cream
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli chips), melted

Note: This amount of ice cream was too much to churn at once time in my Cuisinart ice cream maker. Next time I would churn it in two separate batches.

1. Slice strawberries and toss in a bowl with sugar and vodka, stirring until sugar begins to dissolve. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour, stirring every so often.

2. Pulse the strawberries and their liquid with sour cream, heavy cream, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor until almost smooth but still slightly chunky.

3. Refrigerate for 1 hour (I always refrigerate overnight), then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. When the ice cream is nearly done, slowly pour the chocolate on top of the churning ice cream. To keep the chocolate from freezing in large clumps, you may want to use a spoon to help break it up as it churns in the machine. Transfer to a freezer-safe container and allow ice cream to ripen in the freezer for at least one hour.

I talked about this recipe HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:32 PM

    Vodka and sour cream ... are you kidding me? That sounds amazing! I wish I had a spoon right now to give it a try! Very Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuck - LOL.....I'm not sure I like the sound of vodka and sour cream by themselves in a sentence together, but it sure worked in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete